Friday, January 25, 2008

I Will Never Be...

a Proverbs 31 woman. At least not entirely.

For those who may not know, the Proverbs 31 woman is many Christian women's ideal. A standard to strive toward. She has her own money, she oversees her land, takes care of her servants. She is her husband's partner and is trusted completely with their land, property and goods. She is a skillful business woman able to buy and sell on the market. She is a humanitarian helping those less fortunate. She is loved by her husband and children. And she of course does this all with happiness and energy and never speaks an ill word.

Quite a standard wouldn't you say? Yet what most forget, even we Christian women, is that she is a composite of women. Now, many would argue that point but let's take a look. God gave every single one of us different talents. I am a capable seamstress but really lack when it comes to cleaning. I take care of our children but find fixing mechanical things in the house completely beyond me. I can sing but I can't play one single instrument. Many days with 3 Goobers underfoot I do NOT go through my day with complete cheerfulnes OR endless energy.

We are all capable women. We are just capable at many different things. God knows this. He knows no one can excel at EVERYTHING. The Proverbs 31 woman is not about being the "perfect" woman. It is about being a strong, multitalented, caring woman who puts God first and foremost in her heart. She is a woman after God's heart.

I just recently saw a story on Nightline about Asian women who are trying to make themselves look "whiter". They are subjecting themselves to peels and masks and what not to get a "porceline" look. They are also going in for surgeries that break the femur or tibia and a metal bar is then screwed in to give them a few extra inches. What in the ?!?! And everyday women are making themselves "beautiful" through surgeries, hair coloring... This isn't a bad thing unless you forget why you, as a woman, were created. Seems the "ideal woman" of the WORLD has overshot God's idea of the "perfect woman". Proverbs 31: 30 is my favorite verse in this chapter and one I really need to keep in mind daily: "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." So while I may never be Wonder Woman, I can know that I am wonderfully made and loved by my Creator.

No comments: